Saturday 18 January 2014

Getting even

There are certain injustices in life. To me it seems that getting engaged is one of those. While the man stands to gain the best thing that could ever happen to him - a wonderful wife - he also stands to lose a small fortune in shelling out for the inevitably sizeable rock. While I am not the most grasping individual in the world when it comes to rings I know my taste is not exactly cheap. As such I felt the need to make amends.

Actually that's not strictly true. I initially offered James an engagement present as an inducement to propose. Needless to say it didn't work and he took his own sweet time about it anyway (Yes, James, that is a retrospective nag!). However today the time came for me to make good on my promise. Thus we headed to a pen shop. James has quite a penchant for pens. To be specific fountain pens. He not only likes them but he is also quite knowledgeable about them and has amassed quite a collection, both new and vintage. Today though he knew he was in for the crème de la crème of fountain pens. The crowning glory of his collection. The Mont Blanc.

For as long as I can remember James has lusted after such a pen and already numbers the ball point version amongst his collection. And so with a great degree of anticipation today we headed to the pen shop in Oxford. Although the service was less than charismatic we left with the fountain pen and a significant hole in my purse. C'est la vie and happy engagement James!


No comments:

Post a Comment