Friday 3 January 2014

And so it begins....

Finally, on 21st December last year (even though that's less than two weeks ago!), the much longed-for proposal was forthcoming. In a way that epitomized our relationship, it was low key and at home, with just the two of us there, but it was utterly perfect. He told me how much he loved me and that he wanted to be with me forever and then it was down on one knee and out with my stunning new sparkler to formalize things. I was so overwhelmed I forgot to say yes until a few minutes later but the hug said everything I needed it to. Thus began the madness...

Within a few days all relevant family and friends had been informed of the news and already the planning was well under way. The Christmas cards had been lost beneath a mountain of engagement cards and the only magazines lying strewn around the house were wedding related - who knew you could get magazines purely about wedding cakes and wedding flowers? Clearly I'd previously been naive! With the future in-laws staying with us over the festive period and most wedding planners being on annual leave - how selfish - I managed to email a few potential venues in the Midlands and during a quiet spell (five minute lunch break) at work I contacted the vicar.

The end result of this feverish planning is that tomorrow, two weeks to the day after our engagement, we will be travelling the 50 miles North to Stratford-Upon-Avon, where we will be viewing five potential reception venues, along with the church where I hope we will get married. Are there enough hours in the day? Quite simply I don't know but I'm sure as hell willing to give it a go!

To my surprise James was keen on a 2014 wedding. I'd imagined that it would be the other way round and that he'd be dragging his heels. To be fair I took little convincing to marry in relative haste. My only concerns being venue availability at the comparatively short notice and the lack of time to diet before I need to start trying on dresses.

We've already made lots of decision surrounding the wedding including

  • Colour scheme : purple with hints of pink. 
  • First dance : To be revealed on the day
  • Drinks : Our personal favourites...
  • Attendants : My four bridesmaids (two adult and two child) have all been asked and agreed. As have James' best man and multiple ushers - I think there were 5 at last count, if you count my 8 year old godson.
  • Budget: Thanks Dad!
  • Guest list: Although provisional we're thinking 100  - 120 for the ceremony and formal meal with more guests to be invited for the evening do.
The latter idea is something I've always been against, feeling that if someone is important enough to you to want them there then they should be in attendance for the whole thing - this was until I started looking at how much weddings actually cost and counting up how many family members I have (and I'm from a small family!). I've also been presented with the horrifying conundrum of being told that whatever of my budget I don't spend on the wedding I can put towards a house deposit. Being a pragmatist the idea of eloping has started to appeal, but this is being weighed against the little girl who's always wanted the fairy-tale. I think ultimately the princess will probably win - after all this is something I only ever intend to do once. 

I'm keen for a lot of things to do with the wedding to be handmade - I intend to pilfer the idea of silk flowers from a friend's wedding last summer for my bridesmaids - they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My mum, who has recently retired is keen to calligraphy the invitations and place-cards. A Scottish contact will be making the edible favours. We also want certain aspects of the day to be very personalised. If I can convince the vicar I think my beloved cockapoo should be the ring bearer and we have a slightly different take on celebratory drinks at the reception which will be discussed with whatever our favoured venue is tomorrow. 

So roll on the morning, when at the crack of dawn (first appointment 9am!) we'll be heading off to explore the creme-de-la-creme of what Stratford has to offer and the ball will well and truly start rolling. Who knows... we may even set a date!

No comments:

Post a Comment