Tuesday 21 January 2014

Flower wars

Yet again I've found myself in a position of having to choose between rival suppliers. This time it's not the venue but the florist that I am going to have to make a decision on. While I know you're supposed to shop around I prefer not to waste people's time getting them to go to the effort of quotes and designs only for me to turn around and say I'm going with someone else.

I know this situation is of my own making but in part I can abrogate the responsibility to Florist A. Florist A is one of the recommended suppliers at our venue and came with glowing references from our wedding planner. As such, having looked at her website I sent in an inquiry last week. Promisingly she replied within 24 hours. I got back to her the next day answering the many questions that she had posed in order to start formulating ideas and then I sat back and waited. And waited. And waited. And 5 days later I'd got bored of waiting.

What I'd forgotten when I put in an inquiry to Florist A is that my friend and chief bridesmaid had also recommended a florist, Florist B. So come day 5 of waiting, and having looked at florist B's website and been very impressed with her portfolio I put in an enquiry. Following a few emails back and forwards a meeting for early February had been arranged within just a few hours. I was happy. And then my phone buzzed and Florist A had replied.

Irritatingly both seem very keen and very capable. Both have worked at the venue before and both seem to think that the types of flowers and arrangements I have in mind are very feasible. So I've arranged to meet both within the space of a few days in February. Unfortunately I'll then have to make a decision and tell one of them that I'm going with the other but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In the meantime we've had the contract through from the venue and are all set to sign it, after making sure that a few amendments are made and that there are no hidden costs.

We're meeting the photographer in a few days time. I've just had her price list through though and it's causing me a few moments doubt as it's about 50% over what I'd been budgeting. I'm trying to rationalise it by thinking about everything that's included and how much we'd pay for the individual components and justify it that way. The fact is I really liked the photographer when I spoke to her on the phone. If she's as good in person I can't see myself saying no.

We've also started inquiries about the honeymoon. We're looking for somewhere hot and luxurious but with a bit of interest, potentially of the wildlife variety so Madagascar is the first place we're looking into...

The Save the Dates are ordered and proofed so will hopefully arrive soon. Once they're sent (which will mean finalising the guest list) and James has confirmed the band and booked the transport we'll be on schedule. That is the schedules laid out in one of my many magazines and which we were already behind on when we started out due to the length of our engagement but hey ho. Today marked the one month anniversary of our engagement and I can't believe how much we've done in that time. Mum got her Mother of the Bride outfit today too!

1 comment: