Wednesday 24 September 2014

Bad news

When you know someone well you can tell from the first word they say that there's a problem. When you know them really well you can even have a stab at how big that problem is. So this morning from the choked 'hello' I knew we were in trouble. The only comfort I have is that noone's died. The devastating news for me though is that with just 48 hours left before the wedding my 93 year old granny is being admitted to a nursing home and won't be able to make it. This is upsetting for so many reasons. It's the acceptance at last that after months of struggling things have finally gone too far and in all likelihood will never be the same again. 

In terms of the wedding I'm upset for myself and for her for so many reasons. She's the last survivor of her generation but more than that she and granddad and the many fond memories I have of tredington are the reason I wanted to go back there to be married. I'd been in touch with the friends granny still had there to invite them to the ceremony and I know she would have loved to have seen them. More than that she would have loved to watch her granddaughter get married and adopt the surname Reid, her own maiden name. My scottish granny would have loved all the nods to her and James' shared homeland that we have in store. She would have loved to be at the centre of the family one last time. 

Thus with this mornings news the happy, smiley bride to be is just a little more fragile. A small part of the magic has been erased, a little bit of the shine tarnished. Just goes to show that no matter how meticulously you plan you can't control everything and that at the end of the day nothing is more important than your family and their health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment