Thursday 17 July 2014

The groom and his father-in-law

This weekend is the hen and stag weekend. I imagine mine will be a fairly sedate affair although I'm not quite sure what. The stag do might be a different game altogether. I'm sure though that like most brides to be whose fathers are invited on the stag do I can sit back and relax safe in the knowledge that my dad will be keeping an eye on proceedings. Or not!

Depending upon how you look at it my dad and James get on together almost too well. They tell each other rude jokes, although, James at least censors the worst of his. They call each other names and were once heard referring to each other as 'duckie'. They dive into pubs long before midday and roll out of said pubs a long time after, somewhat merry. They like the same films, have a keen appreciation of the female form, have an identic sense of humour and share uncannily similar habits. In fact I frequently say that my dad and James are twins separated by 30 years. James is the son dad never had and James frequently tells me that we could never split up unless he were able to get custody of my dad! 

So while many a girl might be able to breathe easy at the thought of their father reining in the worst of her grooms excesses, I must instead endure a weekend of trepidation about what feats my father will invite James to. I just hope I get them both back in one piece!


No comments:

Post a Comment