Wednesday 23 July 2014

The grand finale

The hen party day 3 kicked off with a queue for the bathroom as eight of us battled to get ready. Mum had let slip on Saturday what we were going to be getting up to- ladies day at the Stratford races. 

I'd never been to the races before and was very excited. Thankfully I'd been told to bring a nice dress and had a vibrant phase eight dress and black wedges for the occasion. We later realised that I could have really been stitched up be being given a list of random things that I 'needed' to bring but thankfully for my sake that particular trick was missed. The lunchtime train saw the arrival of four more friends from uni and my other bridesmaid. 

After a celebratory glass of champagne it was off to the races in a complicated convoy of cars. As we arrived the skies cleared and the sun shone. We took a number of photos before eventually locating our box. 

With 13 of us it was a little cramped in the box but with overspill onto the balcony we all fitted in fine. We were introduced to Diane who was our waitress for the day and after another glass of champagne we all agreed it was lunchtime. Only one person had been to the races before, the rest of us were clueless when it came to the betting. Most people went to the tote but I headed off to betfred having heard a rumour that you got better odds there and it had the added benefit of being able to place all your bets at once.

In total there were seven races over the course of the day. I decided to put on a bet in each at £1 each way or £2 to win, thus staking £14 over the course of the day - my logic being that it was all I could afford to lose at the moment. 

As it happened my horse won in three of the races, was a non-runner in one, came second in another and in just two races failed to place. The result was that I ended the day £7.80 in profit and was the biggest winner in our group. About half of us ended in profit and the rest in loss but we all had great time and got thoroughly involved in watching the races from the balcony. Most were over hurdles but the last race of the day was on the flat. 

I chose who to place my bets on mainly by the names, although I did put money on the horses my dad tipped and also back one that was being ridden by AP McCoy. 

In between races we managed to have a lovely hot buffet lunch. I went for the chicken and mushrooms with rice and this was followed by a delicious cheesecake. Drinks flowed freely throughout the day and we were able to step out the back of our box to watch the beautiful horses parading prior to the race, or out the front to watch them in the winners enclosure after the race. 

At one point I went to put a bet on for my aunt at the independent stands. I can't remember what they're called but it was very fast paced and exciting watching the odds changing and picking the best queue. I wishes that I'd done that. 

Further amusement was gained by people watching. We all disagreed with the winners of best dresses and I felt that they must have been short listed by representatives from guide dogs for the blind. 

When the final race concluded we stayed to watch everybody leaving the grounds, commentating on almost every outfit that passed us. It was great fun. 

Overall it was a truly fabulous day. The sunshine really made it and everybody seemed to enjoy the opportunity of dressing up. We returned to sues for a little while after the races before delivering everybody back to the train and heading home myself.  I think I smiled all day! Thank-you so much to all those who came. I'm so lucky to have such brilliant friends and family. 

My only worry is what a comedown it was to get home after the hen and know that it was over. Heavens knows how much worse it'll be when the wedding is over although in the immediate aftermath we'll be on honeymoon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment