Tuesday 8 July 2014

Leave to get wed

For the last week a black cloud has been hanging over me. The reason for this is that I got my rota last week for September/ October and despite my best efforts in notifying people the day I knew what job I had I was rota'd to work 7 shifts in the fortnight encompassing the wedding and honeymoon. 

Naturally as soon as I saw my shifts (which included 3 nights - the wedding day included! - 2 lates and 2 weekend longs) I was back in touch with the coordinators requesting that an email be sent immediately seeking swaps. 

Thus followed a week of radio silence during which I alternately despaired and talked daringly of throwing my teddy in the corner. I whinged and moaned to anybody and everybody who would listen and publicised the injustice of it on Facebook. Finally today during another moan the person I was talking to suggested I take some action. Accordingly I emailed the coordinator again asking what happens if no one swaps with me and making clear my intention of not working the shifts regardless. She emailed back by return, slightly perplexed as she'd had an email the previous week offering to cover my shifts which had appeared to be addressed to us both, but which had not made it to me. 

So the smile is firmly ensconced back on my face and everything once again seems right with the world, and more importantly with the wedding. 

As an article in the papers last weekend commented though, there is a lot of rightful discontent amongst the ranks of junior doctors regarding the practice of fixed leave and the inflexibility with which we are forced to live our lives. It's unsustainable and unfair but this also isn't the place. 

This blog, this wedding and this life are my happy place. 

79 days! So close! 

No comments:

Post a Comment