Saturday 1 February 2014

The perfect fit

This weekend I had my engagement ring resized. Although it was purchased long before we got engaged I didn't see it until James put it on my finger just over a month ago. Sadly when he did it was just a teeny bit big. This didn't stop me wearing it - I don't think anything could! However, it did mean that for the past few weeks I've been wearing another ring in front of it to anchor it on. Not only in my mind did this detract from my lovely engagement ring but it also meant it looked like I was married instead of enjoying the blissful state of engagement. 

Therefore on Saturday I took the ring in to a jeweller near my parents and to my amazement they said they would be able to get the ring back to me in just a few hours. As there never seemed to be a good time to be without it for longer than that I readily accepted. I was able to pick it up that afternoon and it now fits perfectly and looks stunning. I am thrilled. We have also arranged to go back in a few weeks to pick our wedding bands - James having been told that he will be wearing one as he'd failed to express his own preference. 

The story behind my engagement ring is this:

For as long as I can remember I have always known what I wanted as an engagement ring. Without a doubt it was to be platinum with a plain band and a 0.61 carat princess cut diamond. I've always preferred silver to gold and had expensive tastes - hence my choice of metal. The size of the diamond was based on the fact that my mum's engagement ring is 0.6 carats and this I needed to go one better without being showy and having a knuckle duster. The shape was simply preference. 

Those eagle eyed amongst you will not that the picture does not correspond with the description. This is because just over a year ago in harrods (naturally!) I fell in love with the debeers promise ring. Thankfully at the time a friend was a jeweller and had this copy commissioned for me. It is white gold with a central 0.5 carat diamond. The band on either side is half plain and the other half adorned with 10 small diamonds. I love it almost as much as I love James, the small bonus is that I get to take it every where with me and I certainly wear it with pride. James has rather meanly commented that he never knew it was possible to enter so many situations left hand first! C'est la vie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment