Sunday 2 February 2014

Gentleman's attire

This weekend saw a flurry of activity where the man's outfits were concerned. Naturally I have left this aspect firmly in James' domain. However he has consulted my opinion on a number of occasions - normally to be met by a blank stare and a swift request for clarification.

We have thus far visited Austen Reed and James has looked at various places online. However this weekend as I was purchasing bridesmaids shawls in debenhams we walked past the formal hire section and I picked up their brochure. This has proven to be of great interest and we have an appointment booked for the forthcoming weekend to confirm our order. 

James' grooms party will outnumber my own bridal one. He is to have a best man, a longstanding friend from university, four adult ushers and a child usher. The adult ushers are friends from his time at university and his time in London. My cousin, Fraser, and godson, Zachary, will complete his party. 

But back to the outfits. Needless to say James will be wearing a kilt, as will his best man and two of the ushers. The other two ushers have chosen not to wear kilts and I've actively persuaded my dad not to. My reasoning is that as with everything to do with the wedding I want people to feel comfortable and I don't think dad would be. To my knowledge his knees have never seen daylight and I'd hate to be the one to shock them! 

When it comes to the men wearing kilts it's fairly straightforward to accessorise them as they'll be wearing a similar style to James. The debate then arose over whether those in suits should be wearing prince Charlie or prince Edward jackets or whether to wear lounge suits. It has ultimately been decided that they will wear tails and pinstriped trousers and that by hiring from debenhams each gent will be able to go to his local branch for measuring and collection. 

When it comes to the kilts we're actively not coordinating them. James' tartan is the Robertson which is red based. Of the groom's party I think he will be the only one who has a predominantly red tartan and will thus stand out. Those with their own kilts will be encouraged to wear them and only one will need hiring. 

The coordinating factor will be the neckwear as all the men will be wearing the same cravats - and tying them themselves. I quite wish I could be a fly on the wall for that but I will instead have to rely on my trusty photographer for the scoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment