Saturday 16 August 2014

RSVPs

When invitations were sent out 6 weeks ago  we set an RSVP date of 15th August. This wasn't the for the good of my health or to make life awkward for our guests - it was simply because there are a lot of things that revolve around the final numbers and names of guests. Everything from the seating plan to the amount owed to the venue and to the number of handmade favours needed.

Sadly when the RSVP date passed, roughly 20% of the RSVPs were still outstanding. I know that life is busy and that little things often get forgotten in the big scheme of things. Unfortunately something that may seem trivial to some of our guests, such as a missed RSVP date, is actually important to me. The wedding is the biggest, most exciting and most highly anticipated day of my life. I was born to be a bride and I'm lucky enough to have met a gorgeous guy who is crazy enough to want to marry me. At this stage I should be able to finalise all the plans for the day - instead I am finding myself chasing people by all available means for their responses. I'm not fussy as to how people respond - verbally/ by text/ by email or with a more formal written response are all acceptable - just as long as I know. In my opinion the only thing that is not acceptable is to not respond in any way at all. Even letting me know what is causing the delay is fine - I too have had to try and swap shifts and arrange pet care for our new additions.

We have had some brilliant responses from people. Some have made me laugh and others have made me cry, in the nicest possible way, at the touching things that have been said. Some people are flying half way across the world to attend, while others are pinching pennies and have saved up to be able to afford the journey and accomodation for the day. These are things that I think are too much to ask of people and yet they have done it without thinking in order to spend our special day with us. These people know who they are and they also know that our appreciation for these gestures knows no bounds. The majority of people will have had to book time off work in order to come. So many people have done this unthinkingly and also made the time to respond to the invite. Others haven't and I think they should know just quite how unfair this is. As the wedding draws ever closer I want to be spending these final weeks in eager anticipation, rather than chasing people for replies. There is still a lot left to organise and we have put a lot of thought into making the day special, not just for us, but for all those who attend. Please, if you haven't yet replied then do so soon. If you have then I thank you from the bottom of my heart and for those who can attend I really can't wait to see you. I know I will reply to any wedding invites in future by return as a courtesy to the couple involved.

In the meantime roll on September and those last few replies... Please!


No comments:

Post a Comment