Monday 5 May 2014

The receiving line

Having spent the evening with my parents it was inevitable that a discussion about the wedding would ensue at some point. The topic of discussion this evening was that of a receiving line. 

I was informed that a receiving line was obligatory. While James sat and watched the resulting rally mum and I then heatedly debated the topic. I was firmly against and she resorted to quoting debretts - again. Ultimately this is an argument that was only every going to have one winner - at the end of the day it is our wedding and our decision. 

My reasons for being against a receiving line are as follows:

1. They are timely. 
2. They are antiquated 
3. They are awkward for all concerned
4. On my wedding day I can't envisage wanting to be trapped in a line exchanging meaningless platitudes over and over again about how beautiful I'm looking, how happy I must be and what a fabulous day it is. Naturally that is all a given - joke! 
5. I am yet to be a guest at a wedding where I have actively enjoyed a receiving line - nor reached the far end of it feeling I share a greater degree of intimacy with any of the people I have just been received by - at least half of whom are unlikely to have had any idea who I am. 

Mums reasons for a receiving line are as follows:

1. It is customary
2. It is polite to ensure that each guest has had the opportunity to speak to the main protagonists of the day 
3. As the financial host of the event the guests should have an opportunity to express their gratitude to her and dad. 

It has been left at the suggestion that James and I should circulate around the tables during the course of the meal. I envisage us wanting to do this anyway as we will be surrounded by our nearest and dearest. 

In the event that we do decide to have a receiving line James is of the firm opinion that the piper should be situated nearby to drown out any resulting conversation. In short our guests might expect to receive many things from us on the day but a line will invariably not be amongst them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment