Saturday 10 May 2014

My rock

My day today didn't pan out as I'd expected. Rather than being on my way home from Winchester right now, having spent 8 hours at the hospital, I had anticipated being on my way back from London with a gently snoring James in the passenger seat. We had been meant to spend the day with one of our bridesmaids and ushers having lunch and seeing a show at the V&A. 

But at 10 o'clock this morning I received a slightly panicked call from my parents in Scotland to say that my 92 year old granny couldn't walk and they didn't know why. My reaction was instant 'I'm on my way'. And so was James'. Without a moments hesitation he was out the front door and into the car, our plans for the day discarded in a heartbeat. 

In my eyes this makes him wonderful. He will drop anything and everything in a flash if I or any of my family need it. We don't have to ask, he just does. I can rely on him entirely to do whatever is required. Today he was not only my fiancĂ©, but he was also my rock, my chauffeur (I've never made it from Oxford to Winchester so quickly and I'm no slouch when it comes to the accelerator!), my calming presence and my light relief. He kept the various ambulance crew entertained. He fed the parking meter. He plied me with drinks and newspapers to keep me amused as we waited to be seen. He phoned my mum regularly to update her as they raced back from Scotland at a pace lewis Hamilton would have been proud of. He even made himself scarce at granny's request, returning soaked by the torrential downpour when requested. 

Tonight granny remains in hospital. She can't walk. seemingly because of pain in her leg, but as yet we don't know the cause. 

So thank you James. Thank you for being you. Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for sharing my values and for putting me and my family first whenever it really matters and even when it doesn't. That is one of the reasons I love you, one of the reasons I'm marrying you and one of the reasons I know that we will make it. Whatever life throws at us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment