Monday 7 April 2014

The story of us...

Some people meet at work, others share a hobby. Increasingly many meet online. For us it was fate and the intervening hand of a mutual friend. Yes that's right - our story is that of a blind date. Only in this case it Klara, not Cilla, who gets to dress up for the wedding and courtesy of her firing cupid's arrow I've asked her to be a bridesmaid. 

This story begins back in October 2010 in B@1 in Hammersmith. I'd gone for cocktails with my friend Klara. As the drinks flowed the tongues loosened and talk turned to why I had been single for approaching 3 years. After a little soul searching we established that I'd pushed people away because I was scared of getting hurt again. Once I realised this I knew I'd be able to overcome it and would give the next guy the benefit of the doubt. Klaras next questions was what I was looking for in a man. I apologise if the following list appears shallow:

1. Older than me (I was only 22 at the time so to date someone younger would have been cradle snatching) 
2. Taller than me (there's really no excuse for this one)
3. Intelligent/ well educated 
4. Non-smoker - non negotiable
5. Animal lover

And the bonuses:
6) good cook
7) Scottish ( I love the accent and always fancied marrying a guy in a kilt)

What followed was the fateful comment 'I think I might know someone. He's desperate for a girlfriend. Can I give him your number?' 

And so I took a leap of faith and said yes. There followed a little Facebook stalking and shortly after we went our separate ways back home. It was the next day that the first text arrived. Over the course of the next fortnight texts were exchanged on at least an hourly basis so that by the time we went on our first date on 28th October, James already occupied quite a role in my life. 

That first date was to the Blue Anchor in Hammersmith. My first impressions of James were very favourable and we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. He made me laugh and I found him very easy company. It wasn't until much much later that James revealed he'd spent the night valiantly attempting not to be sick, having got off his sick bed just for our date. 

Three days later our second date took us to the saachi gallery and peter jones' and was followed by our first kiss. 

Our third date saw us dining at pizza express in Fulham. After which James took a detour via Woking to get back to clapham junction. I spent most of the train journey in hysterics at his misfortune. 

By date four I'd offered to cook james dinner and our fifth date was his rematch. Thank goodness I cooked for him first or I'd never have had the courage to feed him after that first superb meal of chicken in tarragon on a bed of blanched veggies and pomme purée. I have to admit to a little bit of mockery when he told me that menu. 

Date eight was momentous for being our first ceilidh. Apparently I took to it like a natural. 

Our first Christmas and new year were spent apart with James up in Scotland and me down at my parents. 

In early February he had a baptism of fire when I introduced him to my parents, dog, both grandmothers, cousins and aunts and uncles at my grandmothers hundredth birthday. He coped admirably but to this day won't let me live down the torment of having to meet so many at once. 

On valentines day 2011 James told me he loved me for the first time. 

Our relationship lasted the distance when I went off to Australia in November 2011, not returning until February 2012. I can't say james coped well with it but following my return all went smoothly. 

We moved in together in Oxford in July 2012, James having chosen to follow me out of the capital, despite his love of London. 

Finally in December 2013 James asked me the big question. And so we are where we are today. There have been bumps here and there but fundamentally we share he same hopes and dreams and both enjoy strong family values. I think we're well suited but then again I'm probably biased. 

I think this is the bit where I say - and they all lived happily ever after. In actual fact I view our wedding not as the end of our story but the beginning of a new chapter in our lives, one which I can't wait to embrace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment