Sunday 16 November 2014

The speech I would have made

Even now people are saying to me they are surprised and disappointed that I didn't make a speech on the day. The truth is the thought had crossed my mind - many times. A draft speech had also been rehearsed. On the day itself though there were four things that stopped me:

Firstly I realised I really didn't need to pressure
Secondly everything I wanted to say was said by others
Thirdly I knew James was strongly against the idea (although I've no idea why)
And lastly I knew we were running over an hour behind schedule and the last thing that was needed was an impromptu speech on my part. 

If I had spoken though this is what I would have said:

Thank-you so much to everybody here for making such an effort to spend the day with us. It genuinely means the world and I'm overwhelmed to see you all here. I can't imagine a more wonderful bunch of people to share in what has truly been the best day of my life. I would just like to take a moment to mention the people who couldn't be here - most noteably my late friend, Alison, whose support and guidance I always cherished and my Grandfather, with whom I had the absolute pleasure of sharing an incredibly close bond for the first 18 years of my life. I know both would have loved to be here today and I also know they would have both been so pleased for me and for us. 

More thank-yous are due to my bridal party. To the simply gorgeous Darcey for looking so lovely and performing her duties to perfection; to Tabitha, my goddaughter, who is now a stunning young woman and who it's been a delight to have as a bridesmaid; to Klara, first and foremost for being the reason we are all here today. For those of you who don't know she is the mutual friend through whom we met and I can only hope that in repaying the favour and introducing her to Hugh they will find an equally happy ending. Finally to Emz. Thank-you for being my best friend for the last 15 years. Thank-you for sharing my laughter and my tears. Thank-you for always being there and I hope that that will never change. 

I wouldn't be here today without the love and support of my parents. Those of you who know them know what wonderful people they are. They have always surrounded my by love and I couldn't have imagined a better start in life than the one they have given me. Everything I am today is because of them and they have made me into the person that James loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with. 

To round off I have to say a special thank-you to my wonderful husband. Thank-you for making me laugh from the moment we met. Thank-you for loving cuddles almost as much as I do. Thank-you for indulging some of my girlish whims and for being my protective knight in shining armour. Thank-you for being you and for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment